Wednesday 9 September 2015

A home coming for a Bhujwasi

The Creepy Doll, like the Lone Pelican of Hamirsar (will introduce
it some other time) are landmarks that makes a Bhujwasi feel at home.
It's so good to be back, after two months in the rural hinterland of western UP, Bhuj feels amazing. I've always thought of Bhuj as this alcove in civilization where one can nestle comfortably. The last time I felt this sense of comfort or being at home in a place, I called myself a KGPian; now I call myself a Bhujwasi. 

Bhuj, the city of beautiful sunsets and breezy evenings; Bhuj, the city of expats in flux; Bhuj, the temporary home of the wandering misfits, the wonderfully varied and deeply passionate. This is Bhuj for me, a city that accepted my weird and offered me friendship. 

One of the things I love about Bhuj (and this is something that happened in Kharapur a lot as well) is that people leave behind these legacies, so we have Bhawna's Bean Salad, Tanvi's Pumpkin Soup, Aarati's Baked Veggies - the list just goes on. And long after the Bhujwasis in question have moved to different places, one makes them and in the flavors, savors all the evenings and weekends spent together, all the seasons we weathered together, all the drunk brunches and nights on the beach, all the poetry readings, all the random impromptu plans, and the camaraderie we shared.

Ok I'm getting definitely soppy. Needless to say I missed Bhuj too much and my fellow Bhujwasis even more. Now I'm back to walking down Saraf Bazaar, joking with my tailor, planning the fake-sangeet, drinking my coffee, and eating my bean salad. If you're curious about the salad in question, here is another Bhujwasi talking about it.


No comments:

Post a Comment